January 18, 2019

1/18/19 Temple Trip, Benchmark Work, Stain Paddle




Kelly asked for more details about this paddle, so here's the story (probably more than you care to hear).  I was asked to come up with an award for our District Blue and Gold Banquet for our District Cub Commissioner.  She loves going rowing early in the mornings, so we thought a paddle would be fun.  I've been experimenting with our library's free x-carve machine and thought it would be fun to carve a quote onto the paddle. I found a paddle on JoAnn's website and it was on sale! So then I found this great quote by Dallin H. Oaks.  It seemed appropriate for the situation so I designed it on the paddle.  It didn't carve great-I'm still learning- but with some stain it turned out good enough.  I showed the paddle to my mom and she loved it so much she asked for me to make her one.  The one pictured above is actually hers. Instead of buying a pre-cut paddle we bought some wood and I carved it using our jigsaw.  I used my table sander that I got for Christmas and the stain given to me by our wood working friend Tom.  I've made 4 of these now and hope to sell them.  I've got to make a few more things before opening my Etsy shop, though.  I just bought a used Scroll Saw that I can use to make Christmas Cresh puzzles as well as all kinds of other things.  Next up is pinewood derby cars.  Any questions? Thanks for asking! -Heidi

3 comments:

  1. This is totally a fun quote to go on a paddle! It also seems to be "Hawaiian" to have a paddle hanging on your wall. I'm sure you will give all the details about this crafty project soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, yes we want to buy one but no rush and we feel that Malia and family should get one as well now that she is doing Crew. I do think that they will sell well. Love that your library has a free way to carve the saying onto the paddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of Jon's Irish Knot designs would look wonderful in wood.

    ReplyDelete