September 19, 2020

9/19/2020 Some Thoughts on Impressions

  This past Sunday (9/13/2020), my father-in-law Michael Mangum passed away. It's been a strange time during which we have had many challenges. My niece Lauren started having pain in her abdomen and had to be taken to the hospital. She's had a procedure to remove a gall stone and will have her gallbladder out soon. TJ woke up the morning of the funeral unable to put weight on his knee. The van we borrowed had the power steering and AC give out while I was driving it. Just today, the car that Heidi, Chris, Aaron, and Matt were driving to Utah in had the battery give out. 

     In spite of all of these things, we've been very blessed. Heidi's Dad is in a Better Place and finally able to rest. Heidi even had a dream about him that helped her feel that he is ok. Lauren is going to be ok. We got to see her today walking around and she is going to be fine. Our friends the Wilsteads loaned us their knee scooter for TJ to use to get around. He feels like by tomorrow it will feel all the way better. The van that lost power steering and AC was still drivable. Both Heidi and I had felt promptings to switch over to our own van when we had a chance but didn't listen. Still, we were blessed to not get stranded somewhere. In Utah, some kind soul helped jump-start the car that Heid and her brothers were driving and they were able to make it safely to their destination. In other words, with the trial also came a blessing.

    In addition, friends have brought in meals and helped prepare for the funeral. Grammie's house has been filled with flowers. We have felt a large outpouring of love. There has still been sadness and grief but it has been sweetened by the knowledge that Heavenly Father loves us and is aware of our troubles and that he has sent us many loving and wonderful friends to help in our time of need.

     This is my first time losing a close family member and, while not fun, I do not remember a recent time when I have felt so many promptings from the Holy Ghost. One little example: I was walking onto Heritage campus to teach my Digital Imaging class. Instead of the place in the arts building where I usually make copies I felt impressed to make them over by the main office. This was a small change as both are on my way to class. As I made the copies and administrator pointed out that the part-time teachers now have a shared "inbox". In the box were a birthday card and a candy bar for me. It was a small thing that made me feel that Heavenly Father was aware of me and was helping things to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment