April 26, 2017

4/26/17 The EDGE Method

This evening David worked on one of his last remaining requirements for his Life Rank. This is pretty remarkable since he is only 12 still. He won't even be 13 until July. I'm not sure how old I was when earned Life but 15 or 16 is possible. I know I didn't finish my Eagle until I was 17 and a half. David has a goal to finish by the end of this year and he may just do it. Tonight he needed to teach the other boys some knot tying requirements using the EDGE method. It stands for Explain, Demonstrate, Guide and Enable. He did pretty well for being a first time teacher. Perhaps he understands better how his teachers feel when his classmates struggle to pay attention. I love to see David learn new things.
Earlier in the day I took a CPE class on how to recognize an abusive tax shelter vs a legit one (like a 401k). Basically if the only reason to invest in it is for tax savings it's probably a sham. You should invest in businesses that you legitimately believe have a chance of making you money. Even if it's not in year one but down the road that's still ok. However, if the deal falls apart without the tax savings you should probably stay away.

1 comment: