February 12, 2017

2/11/17 Rolling with the Punches

Today we had a couple of unexpected set backs but we pressed forward and things worked out. The first thing I did today went just fine. I helped Ryan Cash install some pvc pipes for holding flags along the routes for the flag fundraiser. We also repainted some of the scout symbols that help the boys find the holes when they deliver the flags. Those can really help when you're trying to find a one inch hole in the pitch dark.
While I was changing into my church clothes Heidi went to Goodwill. She noticed that our oil pressure was low. We didn't have oil at home so I biked over to the Roche's to try to borrow their car. The key wasn't on the hook where we expected to find it so I continued, by bike, to the stake center. Part way there Roger called to inform me that the stake owned computer we set up somehow did not have PowerPoint installed on it. Happily I was able to quickly swap it out for the Mac we usually use. The reason we decided not to use the Mac is that our Mac HDMI adapter has been acting flakey. Heidi was able to arrange a ride and brought me our good adapter from home. In the end the tech all went smoothly but for a minor hiccup when the presenter hit a wrong button. My heart started beating again when he pushed the button again and things went back to normal.
After the brunch event Heidi got a ride to the store and added oil to the van while I put things away. We now have a good reminder of why we need to check our oil regularly.


The next exciting hiccup in our day happened at the theater. Gram, Papa and Becca B were holding our spot in line so we could all sit together. This is a story about blessings that come from doing the right thing. I realized that we'd made a mistake of buying Anthony a child ticket when he really was too old (15 when the cutoff was 13). The difference was $1.50. I'll admit I was tempted to not worry about the small amount but felt that would not be honest. I took Anthony with me and had them exchange the ticket and paid the buck fifty. Honesty is honesty even if it is small. Weirdly the new ticket had a different theater number from the rest of our tickets (13 instead of 21). This time I really was tired of trying to sort things out. I figured that we paid the right amount and that it would not hurt anything to keep him with us. Anthony was sure that I was wrong and that we all needed to go to 13. I figured, wrongly it turns out, that there must simply be two theaters starting at 2:20. I thought maybe they gave Anthony a 3D ticket by mistake. As it turns out the theater had swapped times around between yesterday and today. The theater we waited outside of was to be the 3 pm show. By the time we figured it out the other theater had no room for us to be together. This was frustrating considering we'd been there an hour plus early for that very reason. If it hadn't been for Anthony's ticket it would've taken much longer to realize that something wasn't right. In the end the manager was simpathetic and gave Papa passes so we can come free another day. We all got good seats for the 3 pm show. The kids all did surprisingly well with the long wait. The $1.50 invested in honesty had a impressively good return.

Part of the reason we wanted to see the movie is to celebrate Joseph's birthday on Monday. He loves Batman and Legos. What a serindipitous treat to have both in one movie. Gram and Papa got Joseph a LEGO Batman set for his birthday. He is LOVING it.
At the end of our day Heather returned from her trip. Lauren, Anthony and Bradley returned home. They've been good and it's nice to have things back to normal as well.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Joseph, you have Auntie Becca's good luck! She also gets to see fun movies for her birthday. Hope you enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That movie hiccup resulted in a lot of sitting around waiting in the hallway. The upside was we got to do a lot of unexpected visiting, which was nice

    ReplyDelete