July 24, 2017

7/21/17 Indiana, Wilbur Wright, Illinois


As we travel the kids are getting the hang of camping and then getting on the road. Rebecca, Sarah and TJ have learned that they can pack a sleeping bag into the stubborn case if they work together.


Shortly after starting we were in the middle of a heavy storm. We moved to the right, behind a big truck, and drove slowly until it passed.


Eventually we came to Indiana.


Along the way we passed a sign advertising the birthplace of Wilbur Wright.


It is proof that you don't need to be born into a booming metropolis to make a contribution.





This house is about as close to the middle of nowhere as you can get. It was cool knowing that while this place has a replica of the Wright Flyer, we've seen the original. How cool is that.


Next, on to the Land of Lincoln, Illinois. They are sure proud of him. Signs all over the place.



The kids had fun on the playground and in the pool. David and I had fun trying out his boomarang that he got for his birthday. Sadly I managed to get it stuck 30 feet up a tree. Happily, with effort, I was able to get it down by tying rope to a bean bag and throwing it up there several times. Of course then the bean bag got stuck. Providence helped us get that back in the morning. I had told Heavenly Father that I'd rather have the new present than the old bean bag if I had to make a choice so I was ready to call it a loss. Heidi asked the kids to give it one more shot. This was risky since rain was imminent. They tugged as hard as they could but it would not come down. While they were pulling, and rain was starting I cut the rope as high as I could. The branches flew up, as if on a spring, and the bean bag flew loose. If it had been left to me I would have simply untied the lower section of rope and left the bean bag behind. With Heidi's suggestion, and a bit of prayer, we got to keep both.

1 comment:

  1. The Boomerang and the Bean Bag--sounds like a title to a fun children's story with a moral. Do we have anyone who might write it?

    ReplyDelete