April 1, 2016

3/31/16 Citizenship Points

      This week I am trying something new with my math classes. The syllabus already calls for points for being a good citizen in class, I just haven't had an idea of how to award them. The new plan is that each student starts with 10 points. The points represent 5% of their grade. If I have to remind the student about being a distraction in class I write their name on the board. That is just a warning but if I have to address them again I start taking off points. Since students are taking time from the class they need to make it right with the class. They can earn lost points back by coming in after school and tutoring kids who are struggling, helping grade papers, helping keep the room clean etc.  Many kid's excuse for talking during class is that their neighbor was lost and they are explaining it to them. I want kids who have questions to raise their had so that everyone can benefit. If one person has a question it is likely that many people have the same question. So far so good. I've had to write a few names up but so far no points have been taken away. Hopefully it keeps working. As one teacher told me today "teaching is fun, policing is not fun". I'm with Mrs. Fairbanks, I came to teach not to police the students. Today brought some of the fun back. If we can get past the behavior issues and focus on learning we can all have so much more fun. 
      Aside from school Heidi had her monthly Unit Commisioner meeting. The kids are really good for me. Peter loves running around the grassy field by our house. He would do it as long as I would let him. At bedtime Rebecca was a big help with Peter. He was not ready for bed so she distracted him quietly so that we could listen to a talk from the last General Conference. We listened to Elder Eyring's talk "You Are Not Alone in the Work". It is comforting to know that Heavenly Father is there helping out. I needed that today. 



4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new system. Always uplifting to hear family is working together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideas I have gathered from fellow teachers...
    HOW WILL MY CITIZENSHIP BE GRADED?
    H –Honorable. No missing or late assignments, respectful, no tardies.
    G –Good. One or two missing assignments, respectful, no tardies.
    S –Satisfactory. A few missing assignments, respectful, 1 or 2 tardies.
    N –Needs Improvement. Several missing assignments, disrespectful, 3 or more tardies.
    U –Unsatisfactory. Significant number of missing assignments, extreme misbehavior, 4 or more tardies, or cheating.
    Cheating also results in an automatic zero on the related assignment.
    Tardy is defined as not being in your seat, ready to learn, when the bell rings. Students are allowed 2 hall passes per term which may only be used when it does not disrupt the class and at the teacher’s discretion.

    WHAT IF I HAVE A QUESTION OR PROBLEM DURING CLASS?
    I tell students to try the “Three Before Me” rule: Try three strategies to solve the problem before
    you ask me.
    1.THINK. Often, if you just take time to think about the answer, you will figure it out before you need to blurt it out.
    2.LOOK. Look around the room and see if there is a calendar or poster that will answer your question. Look at the assignment again and see if there are instructions you didn’t read. Look at your disclosure to see if the rule is there.
    3.ASK. If it is independent learning time or cooperative learning time,
    and you’ve already tried strategies 1 and 2, you may ask another student if they know the answer.
    WHAT IF I GET COMPLETELY STRESSED OUT AND OVERWHELMED WITH THE WORK IN THIS CLASS AND I FEEL LIKE HAVING A MELTDOWN?
    That’s pretty normal. I feel like that sometimes myself! Here’s what you can do:
    1)Have the meltdown! Just go in your room and try not to hurt any small children or animals while you do it.
    2)Take a deep breath and decide that you will come talk to me in the morning, during class, or after school. I am here to help you succeed! I know junior high can be overwhelming, and I know that we each have circumstances that can interfere with academic work. There will be a way to work things out and make sure you’re successful in this class. Please don’t be afraid to come talk to me about it.
    If it’s a crisis, you don’t need to use the “Three Before Me” rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another idea(still looking for my favorite list)
    CITIZENSHIP:
    Citizenship Grades are by nature somewhat subjective: This is the
    criteria I use:

    H No tardies, shows positive leadership, follows classroom rules, and fully participates in classroom discussions and activities.

    G No more than 1 tardy, follows class rules, and contributes positively to class discussions and activities.

    S No more than 2 tardies, usually follows class rules and participates in class discussion and activities.

    N No more than 3 tardies, does not consistently follow rules or participate in class activities. Behavior detracts others from learning or teaching. I will notify you in advance if you are receiving an “N”

    U 4 or more tardies and/or does not follow class rules or participate in class activities. Hinders others from learning or teaching.Being identified by a substitute teacher for causing problems in class. I will notify you in advance if you are receiving a “U.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a nice list from a science class:
    Citizenship grades stay up when you are not tardy, raise your hand to speak out loud, use indoor voice, keep chair on all four legs, not sit on tables, stay on task, keep your hands to yourself and your own belongings, stay on websites approved by the teacher, come to class prepared with class supplies, stay in your seat when instruction is being given, put lab supplies away, clean your work area, engage appropriately in class discussion, tuck in your chair as you leave, pick up trash around your work area, don’t chew gum or eat candy, get along with others, listen to others speak when it’s their turn, complete all work honestly, work constructively and quietly when there is down time and respect the property of others.

    ReplyDelete