June 27, 2016

6/26/16 Another Quiet Sunday

     This morning we enjoyed our weekly trip to church. Heidi worked on her project to photograph the 8 to 11 year old girls for a slide show she's making. I got to help with the microphones in Sunday School. During 3rd hour the Youth got a special treat. The Mission President and his wife came and spoke to them. They got to learn about what it's like to be a missionary and even had a question answer session. President and SisterJenkins go home in three days. Lauren, who I still can believe is 12 already, asked about whether most missionaries get to learn a foreign language. That definitely appealed to me as a kid. He had a good response. He said that many people think foreign language missions are more glamorous. When you go English speaking it is a privilege because you will be expected to teach the gospel simply and elegantly. While the chance to learn a language influenced my desire to go, I learned, while out there, that learning a language isn't a good enough reason. The mission was so hard there were times I wanted to go home. The thing that kept me out there was that I gained a knowledge that God loves me and that I was where He wanted me to be. 
     This afternoon our home teachers, Guy Turley and Jim Nelson, came by for a visit. We talked about the things we learned at church. 




1 comment:

  1. Great journal entry--especially the lesson on preparing to be and actually being a missionary. Save for your children

    ReplyDelete