May 25, 2016

5/23/16 Answering the Phone

        If you had asked me when I was a teenager if people, in the future, would know how to answer the telephone I would have given you a funny look. Of course they would. Fast forward to today. Heidi and I do not have a "land line". Generally people call me or Heidi directly on our cell phones. As a result the kids don't often need to answer the phone and we haven't taught them how. It does come up sometimes, like when I leave my phone in the other room plugged in. Sometimes it's nice to have a child answer and then bring me the phone. For family home evening tonight we had the kids role play both how to answer the phone politely and how to call and invite a friend to play. It was fun to see the kids learning this basic skill. Surely more real life practice will be needed. It was funny when we went even a little off script. Example: Mom: "Hello this is Sister Connelly may I please speak to your Mom?". Rebecca: "Hello this is Rebecca , may I please ask who's calling? . . I mean hi Sister Connelly" As they say, 1st world problems. We are so grateful to live in a world where it is so easy to call and talk to our loved ones.

1 comment: